Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Meteors

This picture was taken at the Christmas party for the Best Friends Canine Club in Rohnert Park CA of which I am an honorary member. I have special status because I'm the only one who doesn't take a dump on the baseball field. As for the guy behind me, he is a bit annoying. Every time I talk...his lips move. It's very unnerving. Take my word for it.







Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a poem I wrote recently after witnessing a meteor shower. Guess what it's called...



METEORS

When a dog sees a shooting star
He assumes it's God
Racing across the sky
In his little God car


And deep in his soul he knows
That God's dog has its head out the window
Ears back, sniffing nebula and comet trails


And a thousand million odors that you
Will never know


But if you'll put me in your back seat
I will teach you of lilac and honeysuckle
And mowed grass and manure


Even the skunk is a marvel
Reminding you, you are alive


When you die, dogs believe that 
God picks you up in his little car


In this life, the good deeds you do 
Are like dog biscuits you save up
For that glorious ride

                           Warren Peace
                           Translated from canine by Brian Narelle

No comments:

Post a Comment